5 Tips to Eat Healthy While on Vacation this Summer
July 16, 2018
If you are like most, summer is prime time for family and friend vacations. It’s a time to unwind and recharge…to see new places and try new things. For many, “new things” often means food. And if you are trying to maintain or lose weight, that can be a problem. So, for all you travelers trying to stay healthy this summer, here are 5 great tips to help you stay on a healthy eating plan and still enjoy your vacation!
- Resist the urge to splurge—Most people tend to splurge when eating out, which means pumping far more calories into the body than it needs. It’s best to reprogram your thinking about eating out. Don’t view it as a special treat (which often leads to carte blanche to overindulge). Instead, view eating out as a way to fuel your body (like every other meal), and then consider sharing an entrée, ordering half-sized portions, or making a healthy plan for what you will eat before you sit down.
- Have it your way—A lot of restaurants will allow you to customize your order. Order your meal YOUR way by asking for smaller portions, substituting fries for veggies, or eliminating the butter for cooked food.
- The secret weapon of walking—When sightseeing, be sure to cover a lot of ground by walking. This will burn calories, which gives you some wiggle room if you choose to indulge now and again. Plan to take an extra stroll after dinner, a swim in the hotel pool, or an early morning hike to burn a few extra calories.
- Lose the mini-bar key—It seems overly simple, but you’d be surprised how quickly you forget about the snacks in your room when they are locked away with no key in sight. That little key tends to lead to no good…physically and financially.
- Get in your “five a day”—Make an effort to get in your five servings of fruits and vegetables each day. This will fill you up faster and make meals feel more satisfying. It also helps you meet your daily fiber count…which will keep your digestive system on track while vacationing as well.
Apply these five easy tips while you are enjoying your summer away with family and friends. You’ll feel better while vacationing and when you get home.
Back to List